Old April 2nd 04, 11:52 AM
Hupjack

Default A graphics card with video capture

For those of you that have already read my plight, I'll keep this short.
I mistakenly got an A7V8X-X instead of the A7N8X-X, so I'm just going to
build another computer around the Via board, sell it, and get myself the
nForce board that I wanted.

Well I'm short on graphics cards so I'm also going to sell my Asus V7100
GeForce2 with the Via board, and get myself a new AGP card.

I've been wanting to encode some VHS video to digital for a while now, and
while I twiddle my thumbs, my videos are busy decomposing as we speak :-\

I'm looking for a card with video capture, and while I'm busy upgrading, I
figured I might as well prep for a future flat panel display and get a video
card with a DVI output. I also figured since I'm going to have an AGP 8x
motherboard, I might as well get a graphics card to match.

Having read too many posts, I've learned that all sorts of folk over at
rec.video.desktop are ga ga for the $260 Canopus ADVC-100
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=&sku= 244508

I'm pretty sure my analog to digital conversion days will be over once I get
the ones I have lying around converted, so I'm not super keen on investing
$260 for hardware that I'll only use once. Having read post after post
about how great this external box is, I finally found a reference to this
page http://www.digitalfaq.com/othervideo/buyerguide.htm expounding on the
wonders of the ATI all in wonder series for the same purpose. So now I have
some info on using a graphics cards to do the capture.

I also don't know if I should really care to get a card with DVI out. A
quick peak at Viewsonic's products showed that many if not most of the flat
panels have the old VGA connectors as well. Seems stupid to do a digital to
analog and back to digital conversion when I have the option to go straight
digital. So am I wise to get a video card with DVI out at this day and age?

Since I wasn't too keen on the $260 for that external box, you can imagine
I'm not interested in spending that much for a graphics card either. I'm
not a hard core gamer. I was hoping to get a recommendation for a video
card that could capture video and perhaps also have that DVI out. I guess
matching my AGP 8x capable board would be a third place priority since I'm
not a gamer. There were a ton of All-in-Wonders available, but I've got to
assume there are nVidia or Matrox cards that would also fit the bill. Just
like my A7N8X-X and the Athlon 2500+, I'm looking for a great graphics card
that will do the video capture, but is also a great price. Any suggestions?

If there are any nVidia based products that fit the bill, that might be
good. I know somebody that works there.. Discount possibilities....

Frankly, I'd rather convince my friend with a G4 Powermac, DVD-R, and
digital camera to let me use his hardware to transfer my VHS to DVD, but he
hasn't had any free time, and I think he isn't planning on making any.
Maybe that will work out, or I'll find a friend with an all-in-wonder, use
his for my little job, and then I can buy a video card without this annoying
video capture constraint.. Assuming my other schemes fail and I need to do
the video capture myself though, what graphics cards should I look at?

Thanks,
-Ethan
--
To e-mail me, replace "_nospamtoday_" with the "@" symbol when replying to