Old August 23rd 04, 09:53 PM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:13:03 -0500, Anthony wrote:

Which should I do? I got an nforce 2 motherboard running an AMD 2600 and I
am thinking about ugrading in the next 6 months so should I go for the 3200
400FSB or the new sempon on a new mothearboard? my memory is 1 gig of DDR
3200. Thanks for the help

Forget Sempron. Your 2600+ is faster than the 2800+ Sempron. The
Semprons or not model numbered using the same benchmarks. Basically, the
Sempron is a Tbred B core with a new name, clocked slower, using a
different set of benchmarks and numbering it higher. If you want to
compare speeds between the Semprons, just subtract 400 from the model
number and you will then have the same as the XP. The same goes for socket
754 Semprons.

The only thing you would gain going from a 2600+ to a 3200+ would be 256K
more of L2 cache. And that's not much in terms of performance. Save your
money or go A64.