Old July 3rd 04, 02:44 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 10:30:14 +0100, Gymni Choo wrote:

Hi all,

I holding out for the range of PCI-X graphics cards but I have yet to see
any Socket 940 mobo's that support it.....has anyone seen them?

I have seen some dual cpu boards (S940) which do but are they functional
with just one cpu (FX53)?

cheers

Do you mean PCI-Express graphics cards?. I've never heard of a PCI-X
graphics card, there really isn't any reason for it to exist. PCI-X is the
last incarnation of the parallel PCI bus. The basic PCI bus is
32MHz/32bits. PCI-X is 100-133MHz/66bits. It's used in servers only. There
are a limited number of cards available for PCI-X, mostly things like
Fibre channel controllers. PCI-Express is the new serial interconnect.
Each link is 2.5GHz (2Gbits because of 8B/10B encoding). PCI-Express can
have from 1 to 32 links per connection so it's capable of much higher
performance than PCI-X or AGP. Next generation systems are going to
replace both the PCI bus and the AGP bus with PCI-Express, but those
boards aren't out yet. For now what you want is AGP-8X for graphics, most
of the 940 boards have AGP-8X support. If you want PCI-Express graphics
you will have to wait another 6 months or so but it's not worth it.
Chances are there won't be any performance difference between first
generation PCI-Express graphics cards and their AGP-8X contemporaries.