Old June 8th 04, 05:26 PM
Don McCarter

I said Suse 9.0 appeared to be running in 32bit instead of 64bit
because the only updated versions of KDE, Mozilla, etc that would
work were the i386 ones.
I like Suse and would install 9.1 if I could find the cd iso's for
the AMD64 bit version in something other that DVD.

Also my ARTEC scanner will not work with WinXP, my
HP printer will not work with WinXP64 so XP must not be
any good either,grin.

"Randy Howard" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
says...
If anyone is interested in a 64bit OS this one works for me.

I installed Fedora Core2 on my AMD64 machine, with a little tweaking.

I have not been particularly impressed with FC1 or FC2, especially
when compared to SuSE, so consider me an official convert away from
the increasingly commercial and uncaring about individual users
RedHat.

The FC2 programs harddrive format messed up the
drive so I had to reformat and reinstall WinXP64.

It's almost a certainty that you used the "automatic" partitioning
instead of doing it manually, which is one way RedHat installers
will mess up your life if you have Winodws installed on the
box already. :-) A copy of partition magic comes in handy too
if the Windows install is already (normally) taking up the
whole HD.

I had previously tried Gentoo 2004.1, Mandrake AMD64 rc1
and Suse 9.0. for AMD64.
Suse ran OK but most of the programs appeared to be 32bit.

Appeared to be? Did you run "file" on them to find out?
I have run both the server (SLES) version of x86_64 and
the "pro" 9.1 x86_64 version and both are excellent.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)