Old May 5th 04, 10:12 PM
bebopper

I'm in the process of putting together a Tyan Tiger K8W with a
Raptor 74GB from Newegg. The mobo is about $230 and the drive is
$215. I'm hoping to get a deal on some procs via some "friends in
the business."

The K8W was my choice principally because it is ATX and can work with
a 350W PS (which I currently have.) I understand anything P-IV
compatible will drive the board. I'm not going to bother with RAID 0
or anything....

Review on the Raptor have been great, and for the price, I'm
going to treat myself. Everyone I talked to said the program load
times are outstanding, and hell.. they (WD) give a five year warranty
!!

I'm still trying to find what DIMMS to use. The tiger has 4
slots, and I'm going to start with a pair of 512's. You MUST use
registered DDR, which is more expensive. Folks at AMD said to run
with whatever the MOBO people recommend, and the Tyan site is not much
help beyond specing Samsung, Micron, etc. I've seen warnings
against using Crucial Extreme due to bleeding edge timings.

I'll post again once I get her built and booted !!

Cheers,
bebopper

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 21:33:06 -0800, "Brian"
wrote:

Many of the opteron reviews I read are very old, what is up with that? I'm
itching to build one of these..

Brian