Old March 28th 04, 06:28 PM
Povl H. Pedersen

In article , General Schvantzkoph wrote:
On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 21:18:28 -0800, Brian wrote:

I want the fastest damn thing I can build for about 2k. Thinkin raptor74
disk a mobo and 1-2 cpus.

Spend the Raptor money on more RAM instead. Disk performance doesn't
matter for workstations and for file servers you are much better off
getting a 3Ware controller and multiple 7200 RPM disks rather than using
10,000 RPM disks which are much more expensive per megabyte.

Linux, Software RAID, FIC K8-800T, 2x160GB Seagate SATA, I can read/write
approx 110MByte/sec under Linuxc in RAID 0.