Old September 16th 04, 11:15 PM
fshguo

Default replace HD of smart array 3200, RAID5, un-hotswappable, proliant 800

I have a Proliant 800 server with 3 HDs on RAID 5 under Smart Array
3200, they are non-hotswappable hard drives.

Currently one hard drive is down indicated by Smart Array Utility,
first of all I would like to identify which one is dead. So by looking
into the indicator of the hard drive, there is one steadily in green,
while the other two are blinking in green together. So I am assuming
that the one with green steady must be the bad apple. Am I correct?

Secondly, the steps: should I simply power off the server, pull the
bad one out, switch the jumper with the same ID for new HD and put it
back into the same slot as the old one, then when I power up the
server, everything should be synchronized automatically with the new
hard drive and ready to go without any further configuration?

Your adivse in clarifying these steps is appreciated.

Sapian Fshguo.