Old July 17th 03, 06:06 AM
the yeti

"Vincenzo Dello Iacovo" wrote in message ...
I have three desktops, running W2000 (address 192.168.0.1), W98 (DHCP),
WXPHome (DHCP), with a 100 Mps link through a dual speed hub (3com). All
have subnet 255.255.255.0 and same workgroup name. I cannot connect to
this network a notebook Presario 1510EA (WXPHome): no response to ping, no
file sharing. Desktops see each other, but they have no connection with
notebook. I found solution to this problem in two ways:

- using an old Ethernet 10-BaseT hub: all machines connected at 10
Mbps

- connecting the Presario to the old hub, and this one to the fast
hub: only the notebook connected at 10 Mbps.

Should I think to an hardware failure on notebook?

Not a hardware failure on the notebook, because it connects at 10MBPS.
Most likely a bad or incorrect cable, or a bad port on the HUB.