Old July 16th 03, 02:30 AM
Mike Calkins

Excuse me, I transposed the model number.....

As it's a 41xx series, you may have overtaxed the power supply. Try
removing cards that you may have added. (including RAM).

Good luck,

Let us know.

Mike

"Mike Calkins" wrote in message
. ..
Since you have other systems, I assume you have other drives. Sill the

4810
'see' any IDE hard drive in the 4810? If not, the disk controller may be
bad.

I know that this is probably redundant, but check the jumpers on the
bigfoot. First try cable select, if that doesn't work, set it for

master,
(DS) with no other IDE devices on that IDE channel.

Where are you at, Jon?

Mike in Houston

"Jon Pumfleet" wrote in message
om...
Thanks Mike -- both ideas make sense. I've tried a new IDE cable, and
run the hard drive from the PSU of the machine sat next to it. In
both cases, I get a 1790 Disk 0 error. If I run it from the secondary
controller I get a disk controller error. The machine boots fine from
floppy.

Sometimes I get no error, but the screen clears and the cursor moves
to top-left, and it stays like that. I never get a "non system disk
or disk error".

I feel I must be missing something obvious -- each component tests OK
on its own, except the motherboard & controller, but I doubt they are
the cause because the problem developed slowly, after I'd presumably
knocked/touched something.

JP