Old July 3rd 03, 03:26 PM
Bratboy

did swap pwr cable already. Vid card cable is hardwired to the monitor so
cant switch it but its the same one that supposedly worked at the Hitachi
place. Like I said they already said would replace with a diff model 19"
only real diff tween this one and the one they will send as replacement is
that it uses a samsung tube instead of a Hitachi tube otherwise almost
exactly same specs, think its an inch deeper front to back than my current
one but same VA, dot pitch and features. I just thought I'd ask here before
makeing them do it if someone else recognized the prob as being something
else.
Just Jess

"Strontium" wrote in message
news
Least expensive try: replace the cable from the monitor to the card.
Most expensive try: replace the monitor.

Your pick.

-
Bratboy stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

Okay approx 3 wks ago My monitor started doing some freaky things
with no known changes having been made to the system & no new drivers
or anything. Nothing new hardware wise, no magnetics in the area etc.
Powering off the monitor for a min or 2 and pwring back up image is
perfect...for a few minutes then starts flaking out again.

Things my system is doing:
a) Developed a bow in the image on the right hand side tht sometimes
increases in pitch then eases back (window edges are curved not
straight) b) Actually entire Desktop has a bow now, the black edge on
the left is even curved
c) Desktop image would slowly shift left about 1/4-1/2 " then do the
same to the right
e) Occationally the image actually squezes in a bit so that you have
1/4-1/2 " black edge to one side while the image is still alligned on
the other.
f) certain of the OSD settings like Pin Ballence and such only seem
to work intermittantly
g) Then it decided a few times yesterday that after it got too bowed
the monitor went into standby mode and would only come back by
repushing the pwr button.

At the same time this all started I noticed the fan for my GF3 was
apparently dieing, removed it and replaced with another fan in case
that was the issue. I sent the monitor in to be checked as it was
still under warrenty and they ran it for 4 days and only prob they
saw was the pin ballence thing not working which a reset of the
monitors memory seemed to fix for them . While it was gone I used the
Tvout on my card and never had any image problems at all so since
they couldn't get it to act up they sent it back to me. Almost as
soon as I hooked it up some of the very same things came back to
plauge me, including the issue of some of the OSD options working
intermittantly.

Things I've tried:
I've tried 2 other outlets for the monitors pwr in case it was a buggy
outlet but didnt seem to help.
I rechecked that there was nothing near the monitor that could cause
mag interferance
I have tried other pwr cables as well as using the same ones that
worked at hitachi
I made sure no other cables or wires are near the monitors cables
I have also pulled out fists full of hair trying to figure out whats
wrong. Ive removed and reseated the GRaphics card several times and
its set a factory default for mem and core clocks as it is an OCZ
tweaked card I never did oc it as its default is 215/515 to start with

Is it possible that BOTH have a problem that combined is makeing
things worse. Its odd that Hitachi said it never once did the image
thing, that he saw anyway, but the fact that the OSD's features are
only working intermittantly, which he did see once, and a reset of
mem causes em to work again for a bit would seem to me to imply that
there is something wrong with the monitor. As far as I understand
things the OSD features are in the mon hardware and wouldnt be
affected by graphics card or drivers. Since hitachi didnt seem to see
the drift/image prob running at exact same Refersh rate and Rez Im
wondering if that is being caused by the graphics card and its a
combo problem.

Good news is that Hitachi will replace the monitor with a very similar
refurb since they discontinued my model if I wish and the ppl that
supplied my card seem willing to send a replacement to see if that
helps but would really appreciate some advise from a few Guru's
especially if any of this sounds familiar.

Any help or advise will be appreciated as Ive done a bunch of web
searches and I did find one fairly good mon troubleshooting page that
described some of the probs I have as being monitor low pwr supply
issues but since Hitachi didn't see it Im at a loss. I couldnt find
any good descritions of graphic card failure issues to compare mine
to tho to see if it is just the card.

Should I bite the bullet and replace em both or does this problem
sound familar to someone out there.

Sincer Thanks
Just Jess

--
Strontium

"I thought I'd lost you, somewhere. But you were, never, really ever
there at all. And, I want to get free..."