Old July 2nd 03, 05:16 AM
Beowulf

I'm not too familiar with the Soya mobos. I have noticed some issues
with XP sp1 and graphics stability, even in 2D. Given the headaches
I've had to help solve, I'ld recommend dropping back to Win2K sp3 as a
gamer platform. With recent updates (BIOS, chipset etc) its rock solid
for OPENGL and most dx/D3D games. Xp just isn't there yet as a stable
platform sp2 should fix that. Its very telling when corporations start
considering Linux or BSD over XP when planning the next upgrade from 2k.
I wrestle with a few XP system (data acquisition, 2D graphics) that ,
although don't bsod, apps lock up or XP refuses to load them for no good
reason - must reboot. This is on HP, Compaq, Dell, and various others.
So far 2ksp3 has been a rock. Run it at home with a wide variety of
games on G1DDR to G4Ti4200 - occasionaly a few tweaks are needed.
Unless you need the XP GUI eyecandy, go with 2K. Check the version
numbers - 2K is NT 5.00 and XP is NT 5.1 I really think that MS blew it
on Xp and i banking on $ and hype to carry through to the next OS.

Mike Wyman wrote:

Folk wrote in message . ..

Is this a clean install of XP, or an upgrade over 98? From the
description you give, it sounds like an upgrade. If so, that is more
than likely the source of your problems.

I wish it were that simple. This is a clean install of XP Home
Edition, with all updates.