Old July 1st 03, 05:20 PM
Vince Barmann

Default GeForce 2 and Win98

Ack! Six or eight monthe agoI had problems with my original ATI card so
I went to Best Buy nad picked up what i assumed was a more or less
recent card, a GeForce 2 MX 200, 32 MB AGP. See what I get for not
researching?

Anyway, I just recently got around to installing it, with the driver set
ver. 4.13.01

Old problems went away. Now I have new problems. I love this industry.

1) often windows fail to close -- in fact, all 3 gadgets are flaky.

2) Any text or cursors that are supposed to be in reverse color --
aren't. They are now either black or white.

3) Some simple games, like FreeCell from Win98, go to blank white
when the game starts (the _second_ write!)

4) and most egregious, many windows' menu bars have the text
replaced by a single underline, and drop-down menu items
disappear when they receive focus.

Now, I have work to do, and I really don't want to scrap this card
(however old) and go back to the ATI. I may have to if no one answers
this post with good news. So:

A) Are there any workarounds for these problesm, or

B) Would upgrading to Win XP Pro or Win2000 repair the problems?

This is now classed as a 'Legacy" product by NVidia. I'm annoyed that
it was on the Best Buy shelf at all, but it's my own damn fault for
grabbing it without knowing more. I want to do the minimum-time fix on
this one because I'm getting a new machine soon and will relegate this
CPU to a client software tester. In the meantime I have programming I
can't do.

Thabks to any and all.

Vince Barmann