Old June 26th 03, 08:04 AM
Ron Merts

I have an ASUS GeForce FX 5800 and to be honest, it's not THAT noisy! Of
course it may be drowned out by the 120mm Vantec fan up front and the 4
Thermaltake 80mm fans but I have yet to hear my FX 5800 over the drone of my
system's fans. And this is after 2-3 hours of playing Unreal Tournament
2003 and/or Freelancer. The 5800 prices are dropping fast with the release
and availability of the 5900. Personally I'd go with the FX 5900 card.
They are only about $25-$50 more expensive and perform much more like what
we all hoped for from the FX 5800. The only reason to go with the FX 5900
Ultra (256Mb vs. 128Mb of memory) would be if you were wanting to run at
resolutions 1600X1200 or greater; otherwise you are just blowing an extra
$100. eVGA has their card available as well as Chaintech and Gainward as
well as a much smaller company, Prolink. The Prolink has some very nice
reviews and is competitively priced. The Gainward actually has 2 fans on it
in case one fails. I have a GeForce FX 5900 coming which is going to go
into a new P4 3.0Ghz Springdale system but the only reason I am not moving
the 5800 is because my son has an antique Dual P-III/933 system with a
GeForce2 GTS card; so he's getting a really nice upgrade to a P4 3.06.

Ron

"YanquiDawg" wrote in message
Hey,
I noticed you have a nvidia 5800. I'm thinking of buying one.What do you

think
of it? I've heard of some image quality problems with earlier drivers,but
haven't heard anything either way since. Are you happy with the card?Hope

you
don't mind this coming out of nowhere.Thanks,Pete

I have a FX 5800 (non ultra) and if you have the Detonator 44.03 series
installed you can see the core temperatures very clearly. In Windows XP
right click the desktop and go to properties, settings, advanced, Geforce

FX
5800. I