Old October 20th 03, 07:46 PM
Shepİ

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 18:15:37 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Mark F."
wrote :

I'm working on a machine running Windows 98 SE. The system has a Soyo
KT333 mainboard with an Award BIOS. Powered by an Antec 300W ATX power
supply.

The problem is that this machine will not shutdown when you select
"Shutdown" in Windows. The logos.sys screen appears (It's now safe to
turn off your computer) but the system remains running. I have tried the
CMOS APM settings and in Windows as well, and I cannot figure out why it
won't shutdown without using the switch. I unplugged the ATX power
connector and jumped the "clear cmos" pins 2 and 3 for 10 seconds and
then restarted the machine using the factory defaults. No joy.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

1st thing.Disable the APM in the BIOS and save on exit.
More here,
http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.php

HTH

--