Old March 24th 04, 02:04 PM
Cerridwen

Barry Delfino wrote:
Greetings all!

I own a Dell 8250 with a 2.8 P4 chip, 512 meg of memory, and a 120
gig WD hard drive. I recently purchased a second WD 120 drive, and an
Adaptec RAID card. I'd like to set up a RAID 0 configuration.

Now my question: I understand that when you enable the RAID setup,
you lose all existing data on your hard drive, so I'd like to clone
the drive to either CDRs or DVDs. My system has a Plextor 708A DVD
writer in it. What's the best software with which to do said cloning?
I've heard good and bad things about Norton Ghost, but I'd like to
hear some suggestions from this group. I guess I'm looking for
software to clone the drive, and then allow me to put all of my data
back on to the RAID setup without having to reinstall software. Is
this possible? And, will the cloned data also keep network settings,
passwords, etc?

TIA,
Barry

I prefer Drive Image - you can back up under Windows (you can't do so with
Ghost), you can also back-up to the same drive as you're backing up (useful
if it's the only drive with space) and you can back up to removable media
(the last version of Ghost I used didn't have that option). Unfortunately,
PQ is now owned by Symantec, so Goddess only knows what they'll do with it!