Old December 4th 19, 04:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default PS/2 vs USB Keyboard and why Logitech K120 belongs in trash !

On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 06:56:25 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Worse 12 euro's ever spent on hardware.

This keyboard lasted about 6 months or 1 year or something before I totally smashed it to pieces, couldn't stand it anymore.

This is the first piece of hardware that I completely smashed to pieces as far as I can remember ! LOL.

That says something about the horror of this product ! =D

Didn't spend much more on my FIRST Chinese MECHANICAL keyboard. It
was too small for 87-keys and bought, spent more for a full-sized
MECHANICAL model, much the same but second time up otherwise for a
107-key and bigger.

They were pre-smashed due to Chinese assembly constrictions with wave
soldering. It's a Chinese thing for quality control and training,
effectively, as I could see when I disassembled the 107-keyed
keyboard.

So I spent the cost, then in addition and again, the cost of the
first, 12 Euros, and bought a Chinese Everyman's 20-watt soldering
station.

I replaced, "reflowed", the contacts for each of the 107 keys with
bright, big bubbles of solid solder-joints impeccably placed as spaced
(colour-flashy LEDs were another matter, sub-perfunctionary to real
gamers, but adequately soldered for non-stressed joints).

Now I have a $20-ish/US 107 large keyboard in the same quality grade
of a mechanical brand, which still sell post-ALPS, Cherry switches and
have been for a couple decades, costing $80+/US, that the Chinese
began producing, a couple years ago, made with Japanese high quality
mechanical keyswitches for a fraction of Cherry costs.

There's games and then there's games: By the time I'd finished
re-flowing a few switches and got the hang of it, I was the One,
Superman the Solder Machine, sorely tempted to send in my résumé for a
position on a Chinese soldering line, skipping $2.20/US an hour
training wages altogether for immediate advancement.