Old August 10th 04, 11:10 AM
Lordy

Help me out here
I do not have access to that unit

You are trying to connect exactly what from where
to where etc

I'm trying to connect the two front USB ports of a case to a PB
motherboard which I've purchased. The connections from the case are
clearly marked with which is which (+5V, -, +, Ground).

The connections on the board USB header are as stated;

1 2 3 4
- - - -
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0

I've tried connection across the top row, from left to right with +5V to
ground in both directions. Same for the bottom row (ignoring the last
one which should be the over-current pin).

Let me just say PB or its manufavturers
probably did not create USB

It's a giga-byte board, a special edition of the GA-8SMIL called
Columbia, which is not listed on the Giga-Byte site. The pin layout of
the USB header on this particular board (as diagramed above) is
different to all other GA-8SMIL versions that are listed by Giga-Byte
(so I can't use the information in the other 8SMIL manuals).

This board appears to only exist for PB (it has a customer logo embedded
in the BIOS), the only information that is available on this board on-
line is on the PB website (and the NEC site for obvious reasons).

USB is a standard It must have V+ Gr and data = and -
and sometimes a shieled ground

I understand that, I'm not a clueless newbie I have no doubt the
connections are all there, it's just the layout that appears to be non-
standard. This post below from the PB website refers to the Columbia II
board;

http://forum.packardbell.com/en/viewtopic.php?t=22124

There are a few other people with the same problem as well...

I could go the obvious route, and plug in a PCI card or get an internal
3.5" hub, but I wanted to get the two inbuilt case connections working
if possible.

--
Lordy