Old August 10th 04, 04:29 PM
Chris Stolworthy

SNIP
I still consider anyone who pays may than £200 pounds for a card mad as a

hatter. I what really annoys me is that games makers can't develop games
that run on reasonably systems. I have a system that is similar to the OPs
and if I can't play Doom III on it then I won't buy it.

Lol all I can think about this comment is "Well if my Geo Metro won't go as
fast as Porsche then I guess I just won't buy a car." The fact of the
matter is that Doom 3 will run just fine on resonable Systems that aren't
the "latest greatest". You have to take into consideration that they don't
just whip these game in 3-4 months. So number one they are projecting the
game to play on what they *think* the hardware should be at when they
release the game. Because, lets face it if you picked up the ewest game and
saw that it recommended a P3 500 with 128Mb ram, you wouldn't be thinking
very highly of this game now would ya? Also people constantly want a better
looking more interactive experience. Lets think about this, better looking=
more polygons and rendering, which in turns means you need a better video
card to do that. Then more interactive = better unscripted AI. Better
unscripted AI = more work per cycle. More work per cylce = more processing
power needed. So you are gonna need a better processor to get the full
extent of the AI. Thats not even factoring in the dynamic enviroments,
sounds, calculations for weapons fire and so on.

-Chris