Old February 26th 04, 05:14 AM
jona

"Cerridwen" wrote in message
Cerridwen wrote:
I've been tearing my hair out with this all evening. Thanks to Kony
for getting my P3 box up and running, I now want to network them.

snip
Scrub that - now the 98 system isn't talking to the XP!! GRR!! I just want

simple P2P network! It ain't rocket science!

I've been through this dilemma many times and somehow have never
documented a step by step way to do it right first time. That's mainly
because I never get it right first time .... There are a few things you
don't mention like wireless? ICS?, but assuming you're familiar with
all the standard networking protocols and settings, here are some tips .....

a) Though XP doesn't prompt you to, reboot it to secure changed settings.
It's a schlepp but on more than one occasion the plan came together
after that. Esp when working wireless.
b) Don't bother with the network diskette either OS recommends you need
to install on the other machine.
c) If you've lost track of all the back and forth settings, pinging, etc,
etc,
dump both networks and start from scratch. Do the XP box first and then
set the 98 box to 'auto IP address'.

I have a XP, 2K & 98SE network setup at home so if you need specific
settings feel free to email me.

Cheers