Old February 26th 04, 01:46 AM
Cerridwen

Cerridwen wrote:
I've been tearing my hair out with this all evening. Thanks to Kony
for getting my P3 box up and running, I now want to network them.
Said box is now running 98, and I want to network it to my system.
When they were both running XP, it worked no problem. But, I have
decided to turn the P3 into a retro gaming box, so I installed 98.
Now they're not speaking to each
other - I have run the Network Setup Wizard on both systems until I'm
blue in the face, they both have o/b NICs and are connected by a CAT5
crossover cable - and they both have static IPs. Please bear in mind
that I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to networking and cannot
go much beyond setting bog standard static IPs (just the usual
192.168.0.x). I've tried pinging and they're both sulking!

OK, partially disregard the above. The 98 box is talking to the XP
box and I can access the XP box from the 98 box fine. The odd thing
is, when I ping the 98 box from the XP box the results are rather odd
- every result is 0ms(min/max/ave)! If it can ping it (there is no
packet loss) then why can't I access it from my system?!

I cannot afford to spend any money on new cards/routers/switch boxes
or anything else (I was going to buy a KVM switch - but the cheapest
I could find was £120!). It would be useful to have to save swapping
boards and mice all the time (the 'V' isn't so important as the
monitor is dual output anyway), but not at that price!

I have just run the XP NSW on the 98 box again and it errored out
(cannot complete the NSW).

What do I have to do to enable the XP box to talk to the 98?! In
desperation I even installed NetBEUI (which is unsupported under XP)
but I had to remove it as XP BSOD'ed.

HELP!!

Scrub that - now the 98 system isn't talking to the XP!! GRR!! I just want a
simple P2P network! It ain't rocket science!

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH H!!!