Old May 11th 11, 07:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Default Lockup playing AVI file with pivoted display

Russell May wrote:

I experimented a little more tonight. I played an AVI file in pivot
mode using Nero ShowTime again. After about 30 minutes, it locked up.
First about an 620Hz tone (E-flat) sounded. After a few seconds, about
a 470Hz tone (B-flat) and 390Hz tone (G) joined it. My perfect-pitch
wife identified the tones. The sound came from the PC speaker. I never
use that because I have external speakers. Hyper-threading was not
disabled after reset and reboot this time, so symptoms were a little
different from previously.

Russ

(Second attempt to send this...)

You may want to play with how the video is rendered.

For example. look for the word "Showtime" on this page.

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/ind...er&f=10&t=7755

They make reference to things like Hardware Overlay (typically you can only
have one of those running at a time on the computer), VMR7, or VMR9. The latter
two are part of Microsoft DirectX. It's possible you have a bug somewhere
in one of those modes, but not some other.

I can't tell you exactly where to look for those. I tried a Nero manual, but
the setting didn't seem to be in Nero. Some programs, when playing video, use
the same CODEC path as Windows Media Player might. And then, it is possible
the overlay setting for video rendering, is actually in some other place
than inside Nero itself. (Like a Windows Media Player preference.)

You can try changing the "Hardware Acceleration" slider for the display, like
turning it all the way down as a test. That might also result in an alternative
rendering plane being used for video.

Perhaps some change like that, will stop the crashing. It sounds like the
program itself is going nuts, or some data structure is overwriting program
code, and the program is jumping off into space. Each Windows OS, has developed
increasingly sophisticated mechanisms to stop that from happening (like NX
or No Execute bit for virtual to physical memory mapping), and those are
ways for the OS to stop something that has "jumped into space".

Paul