Old September 12th 03, 09:51 PM
who be dat?

That's an interesting question. The first thing that pops into my head:
what Doom 3 benchmark? As I recall, Id hasn't released a Doom 3 Benchmark.
However, an extremely early beta of Doom 3 from an E3 preview was leaked and
floating around. Like I said, this was very early beta and it had some more
optimizing to be done to it. If this was the doom 3 benchmarks that were
posted, then these are quite frankly a waste of time as they aren't anywhere
near accurate reflection of the final code. Plus, who's to say that since
it's early beta that the game wasn't more optimized for one game as compared
to another? Since the game is in OpenGL, you in effect right the game for
each vid card. Speaking of OpenGL...

It should be pointed out that Doom3 uses OpenGL while HL2 users D3d, which
is a big difference. I think the vid actually have more capabilities
exposed in OpenGL than they do in D3d, for example. Depending on if Nvidia
has a feature that the ATi doesn't and it's exposed in their drivers, then
possibly Nvidia may perform faster than ATi. I do seem to recall that
Nvidia has the ability to handle shadows a bit better than ATi in OpenGL.

Due to the fact the games are on different subsystems, it will be tough to
draw any comparisons between two when it comes to performance.

Chris Smith

"Sumedh" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,

This recent controversy about Nvidia cards underperforming in HL2
benchmarks sure makes me feel good about my 9600Pro purchase, not to
mention seeing the FPS/$ chart!

Anyways, in Anandtech.com's review of the 5900 Ultra, he performed
Doom3 benchmarks, and Nvidia clearly shines compared to ATI.

Whats the discrepancy here? Doesnt Doom3 make use of DX9 features? Is
that benchmark reliable? Or are we caught up in a media hype after
Gabe Newell's damning report on nvidia?

any thoughts?

sumedh