Old January 2nd 21, 01:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bob F

Default New Build - Followup

On 12/20/2020 7:52 AM, SC Tom wrote:

"SC Tom" wrote in message ...
snip

As suggested by Bill and Larc, I got an SSD (Samsung 860 EVO 1GB) and
replaced my system HDD with it yesterday afternoon. I must admit, the
boot time is pretty impressive, although that's never been a problem for
me- I turn it on, make coffee, and it's all finished booting before I
get back to it. Now, it's almost through booting up before I can get my
robe on and leave the room :-)

Transferring my OS over to the SSD proved to be a little more difficult
than I originally thought. I installed the latest free version of
MiniTool Partition Wizard and saw the "Migrate OS to SSD/HD Wizard" and
figured that would be pretty cool. But when I went to use it, I was
informed that it was only available in the paid (subscription) version.
So I forked over the US$59 and DL'd and installed it. Hooked up my SSD,
started the transfer, and after ~3.5 hours, it was done. Shut down the
PC, disconnected my C: HDD, plugged in the SSD, turned it on, and it
booted right up, no problem . . . until about 3 minutes in. Suddenly,
the dreaded BSOD popped up with a "Attempted switch from DPC" error. OK,
what the hell is this? Did a search from my laptop and found out it
could be most anything from a driver issue to an antivirus issue.
Rebooted and have had no issue since (knock on wood).

The system seems to more responsive now than before. My video editor is
quicker and smoother, so that's a definite plus. The games that I have
that are high-def and huge start up quicker, and the game play is much
more responsive and smoother. So, all in all, I would that installing an
SSD is a definite plus and improvement over my HDD.

side note- I registered my SSD and looked at the Download section and
didn't see much of anything other than Samsung Magician, which seems to
be mainly a maintenance and information app. But, searching later on
through Google, I found out that Samsung has a System Migration app. Of
course, that was after I had already bought Partition Wizard. Could have
accomplished the same results for free if I hadn't been in such a hurry :-(

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll put off buying the new components
until I get tired of this set up :-)

Stepping to NVME makes a similar difference.