Old September 4th 19, 05:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default Modem or Router Issue

Bill wrote:
Paul wrote:
Bill wrote:
VanguardLH wrote:

Their User Guide is far more extensive, and 139 pages long
Yes, I downloaded it before I swapped out the router.
The User Guide made me think, but it didn't help me as much as my
common sense. Somehow as a result of disabling "Homegroup" which I
didn't think I needed at the time, the local area connection got
disabled, and that kept me from "seeing or using" the router.
I eventually noticed that the local area connection was disabled,
immediately enabled it, and all was better. Still need to learn more
about Homegroup (and why I need it). I'll consult the manual! : )

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16833122715

WAN Ports 1 x 10/100M

LAN Ports 4 x 10/100M

Rly??? Ugh. No GbE ?

You're relying on the wireless for performance then.

The WAN connection from the Surfboard is probably OK,
as 100BT is 60Mbit/sec. But now you don't have a lot
of room for upgrades.

CPU1: MediaTek MT7628A = a 580MHz MIPS 24KEc CPU
FLA1: 8 MiB (Brand? Model?)
RAM1: 64 MiB (Nanya NT5TU32M16EG-AC)

The same SOC is in the Netgear AC1200 (R6120), so you can
use WAN to LAN routing charts for that one to
estimate performance on the AC1000.

OK, I had to switch to Asus RT-AC1200 which uses the
same chipset.

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport...bps_i_pay_for/

"Asus RT-AC1200 will only put out 25mbps.

I pay for 890mbps
"

That tells us your new router is a dud.

To prove me wrong,

Surfboard ---- NetgearAC1000 --- computer (browse to
SpeedTest.net, flash based tester)

That benchmark will give you a test of WAN to LAN,
and see if the new router is holding you back.

Speedtest.net is failing for me right now, and I
hope the server in your area works better.

My router has "just enough" WAN to LAN for me to
bench my connection. I found a quote of how much,
before I bought it.

Paul

Thanks for helping Paul.
Speedtest reported about 71 Mbps download and 6 Mbps upload.
I ran it 3 or 4 times (using different locations) and got almost exactly
the same results. I tried to determine what Comcast's "Performance
Internet" expected upload speed is supposed to be (but was unsuccessful
so far). The advertised download speed is 60 Mbps. I may not have a
lot of room for upgrades, but I only paid $59.99 too--and it seems I am
utilizing all of my current pipeline...no? FWIW, I use only the wired
connection, my wife uses the wireless (she is not particular). Thanks
for teaching me a bit! I'll look up the specs on the Cisco e-1000 and
see whether I upgraded or downgraded...

Bill

OK, so I don't understand how the other guy only got 25Mbps
from his. It sounds like it isn't holding you back, so it's
a pass.

I'd have used a Smallnetbuilder bench, if I could have found
one for that Mediatek chipset. All I could find was that one
customer comment for a similar product with the same chipset.

Mediatek started out making chips for DVD drives, and has
branched out since. They're a competitor for Broadcom,
which also makes SOCs for modem/router boxes.

Paul