Old August 29th 19, 07:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Is it possible to update Windows 7 without adding any Windows 10 "features"?

On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 17:30:36 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

wrote:
Optional comment/name field missing in From header.
Non-authorized use of domain.

I just built a new machine. I think I remember reading that Microsoft
was adding some of the Windows 10 snooping capabilities to Windows 7
updates. I'm just wondering if that's true, and how to tell which
updates to avoid if it is.

Only if you configure the WU client to *not* automatically updates (set
to "notify only") AND disable the WU service (to prevent covert updates
which have happened) and then later, when you are ready (got the time,
incentive, and save an image backup), you reenable the service and run
the WU client. After any updates, disable the WU service again. Then
it is up to you after checking for updates to determine which ones you
want from the list. Look for those that specify themselves as a
compatibility update to Windows 10. Those check if your Win7 install
and hardware are prepared to update to Windows 10 (i.e., they check
compatibility with Win10). If you aren't going to migrate (update) that
computer to Win10, or you intend to do a fresh install of Win10, you
don't need any of those Win10 compatibility updates.

Similarly, the WU service will push updates for software you don't have.
For example, Microsoft will push updates for Skype despite that it is
not installed. When you check for updates, you get a list. It's up to
you, as the admin of your computer, to determine which ones you want,
which ones you can understand, which ones you don't understand but can
research, and those that identify themselves as having something to do
with Win10 compatibility. In the list of proposed updates, you can
click on the link to an MS article that sometimes gives sufficient
information. Often, however, you have to check online what are the
updates and research the features they are touching. For example, some
are relevant only to hosts that are in a corporate domain setup, but if
this is a home PC then you aren't logging into a domain. Might not hurt
to have the update, but likely it won't do anything to help your setup.

When you check for Windows updates, you're still the self-appointed
administrator of your computer, and it's up to you to decide which, if
any or some, updates to retrieve and apply. That means reading up on
each one.

Yea I already knew about turning off auto-update. I was just
wondering if MS is trying to sneak stuff like the keystroke recording
into Windows 7 by bundling it with security updates or bug fixes,
things that they know people are most likely to download.

thanks for the reply