Old August 24th 19, 12:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
pheasant16

Default Win XP quits loading (Finally forced me to get a new box)

On 8/23/2019 1:26 PM, Flasherly wrote:
On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 19:19:29 -0500, pheasant16
wrote:

No fun. It's like working on two faulty cars without one up and
running to get around for parts or just to get by on. So, your
replacement desktop, you didn't assemble, in addition to the XP box,
you -did- assemble -- both done gone kaputzy and just quit?

No the new box works great. I've fallen away from building so had it
built in a local shop where I used to buy parts in my younger days.

Stay away from your hard drives (and any data on them you value) until
you establish the MB/Memory/PS are not in fault conditions. Sure,
that is -not- to say you do not need a HD to do that, but a "boot HD"
can come a contingency of both a USB or DVD/CD boot;- Besides, a new
128G SSD is easily found under $20.

Kind of my thought. Buy a cheap hard drive to load OS, just use the old
HD to find the data I need. Won't need the programs any more. It would
be nice to restore it to full function but the saving the data is the
main goal. Do have a couple Win 7 licenses that are unused, so may
upgrade from XP. LOL

Building a computer over the course of a repair requires both
substitute parts, convenient enough to say when one spare parts works
over another that does not. Start with the MB and PS;- memory has a
tentatively better chance of being OK. At a fundamental software
layer that needn't be so complex as Microsoft, but to simply see a DOS
boot for a command prompt can establish a minimal hardware working
platform condition does in fact exist.

Don't keep up with the new, and can't imagine buying anything this old
to cobble it with. I was thinking of looking at the caps, replacing the
CMOS battery, and reseating the memory and calling that good. Kids and
grands keep me far too busy to invest much time in the old machine.

---