Old August 23rd 19, 03:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
T. Ment

Default Win XP quits loading (Finally forced me to get a new box)

On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 19:19:29 -0500, pheasant16 wrote:

A week ago it told me I had 3 days to activate it or it would shut off,
so let it register online, and the nag screen went away. 3 days later
it quit.

Last time I tried to activate XP online, it failed. But AntiWPA solves
that problem

https://antiwpa.planet-dl.org/index2.php

Firefox warns about malware, but Microsoft probably reported the site to
scare people. The file is Antiwpa-V3.4.6 for X64 and X86.ZiP.

Then I use Portup for updates.

http://www.portableupdate.com

Hard drive failing or bad software? No hardware changes made for many
years.

Or bad motherboard. They don't build them to last more than 5 years or
so. Some will last longer, I have 20 year old motherboards running fine.
But 1 bad capacitor can cause failure.

Take the motherboard out of the case and inspect the capacitors. Any
bulging of the top, even slightly, means it's bad. It can be replaced,
but that takes soldering skill most PC repair shops don't have.