Old August 23rd 19, 02:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shadow[_2_]

Default Win XP quits loading (Finally forced me to get a new box)

On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 19:19:29 -0500, pheasant16
wrote:

Puts the desktop picture up, but loads no icons and won't connect to
network. Boots into safe mode just fine.

Still have the original retail XP disk when I built the box.

Run chkdsk /F C:. If that's OK, try re-installing
Windows(without formatting). Choose the same original folder
(C:\windows). I think it's the "repair" option.
If that works probably some corrupted system files/registry.
Then run the HD Manufacturer's test program on it. If the HD
is failing, you can buy a 1TB cheap, install on that, then copy your
data to the new disk.
Ah, and run Memtest, bad RAM can corrupt files/registry too.
You get no error messages?
[]'s

--
Don't be evil - Google 2004