Old November 28th 03, 01:58 AM
Phrederik

Good to know...

Buying local, it isn't such a big deal, but trying to RMA a mail order drive
because of noise if frustrating.

"kony" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 00:36:11 GMT, "Phrederik"
wrote:

Didn't you see #1... QUIET.

Maxtor makes the noisiest drive on the planet... at least all of mine

have
been. Only louder drive I've ever had was an RMA I got back from IBM.

Looking backwards, the Plus 9 and Plus 8 have fluid bearings, are
quiet. The D740 was in both fluid and ball-bearing, the fluid was
quiet but the ball-bearing versions were some of the noisiest Maxtors
ever, though at the time they were the fastest *affordable* ATA drives
available. Further back the Diamondmax Plus 60, Plus 40 were about
average noise.

A modern Maxtor is barely louder (insignificant) than a Seagate IIRC,
but a LOT quieter than a WD.

Dave