Old March 29th 05, 11:42 PM
Bobby

Paul - The BIOS software does have a facility for recovering a corrupt
BIOS - but my BIOS is not corrupt. My PC boots OK - well, OK for 2 minutes
before it resets. So the repair facility does not work for me.

I think that something went wrong with my BIOS upgrade since neither my new
nor old hard drives now work correctly (I'm getting constant resets and BSDs
using either drive). So I plan to reload my old BIOS.

Bobby

"Paul Murphy" wrote in message
"Bobby" wrote in message
As some of you will know, I've been having problems with the new SATA
hard disk.

So I tried to upgrade the BIOS of my Asus K8 SE Deluxe motherboard. I
used the flash update tool and everything appeared to work perfectly -
but now my PC doesn't work at all.

It resets either during boot or at login or shortly after boot. This
happens constantly. Safe mode is the only cure.

I solved my SATA problem by reverting to my old IDE drive and this
invariably gave me a stable machine - until I did this BIOS update. Now
no mater which drive I try to use (SATA or IDE) I get constant resets. I
tried removing all mention of RAID/SATA/Promise from Control Panel but
the problem persists.

I can't even restore the BIOS to its old settings (I saved an image
before updating it) since the PC resets before I have time to do this.

Now I have an unusable PC.

Help!

Bobby

Ah so these are the motherboard details! When you say the flashing
appeared to work perfectly, how do you know - did a message pop up saying
so? The only Asus boards I've flashed have been using a Win98SE system
formatted disk and a progress bar was shown. At the end I've always reset
the BIOS by doing the shorting the jumper trick for a few minutes (have a
read of the manual) - that's essential, have you done that?

If the machines a new build, what are the PSU details (make/model and
power rating)? FYI often OS's will need to be reinstalled after a BIOS
flash - especially if it involved a disk controller, that's why its always
best to do the job when the drive is still empty.

Paul