Old March 29th 05, 12:53 AM
Paul Murphy

"Paul Murphy" wrote in message
"Bobby" wrote in message
As some of you will know, I've been having problems with the new SATA
hard disk.

So I tried to upgrade the BIOS of my Asus K8 SE Deluxe motherboard. I
used the flash update tool and everything appeared to work perfectly -
but now my PC doesn't work at all.

It resets either during boot or at login or shortly after boot. This
happens constantly. Safe mode is the only cure.

I solved my SATA problem by reverting to my old IDE drive and this
invariably gave me a stable machine - until I did this BIOS update. Now
no mater which drive I try to use (SATA or IDE) I get constant resets. I
tried removing all mention of RAID/SATA/Promise from Control Panel but
the problem persists.

I can't even restore the BIOS to its old settings (I saved an image
before updating it) since the PC resets before I have time to do this.

Now I have an unusable PC.

Help!

Bobby

Ah so these are the motherboard details! When you say the flashing
appeared to work perfectly, how do you know - did a message pop up saying
so? The only Asus boards I've flashed have been using a Win98SE system
formatted disk and a progress bar was shown. At the end I've always reset
the BIOS by doing the shorting the jumper trick for a few minutes (have a
read of the manual) - that's essential, have you done that?

If the machines a new build, what are the PSU details (make/model and
power rating)? FYI often OS's will need to be reinstalled after a BIOS
flash - especially if it involved a disk controller, that's why its always
best to do the job when the drive is still empty.

Paul

Oh and there's a downloadable manual for your board he
http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock..._se_deluxe.pdf
It contains good news - please read it *all* and lots will be made clearer
(especially the part about BIOS recovery - for peace of mind).

Paul