Old May 1st 04, 05:55 PM
Barry Rubin

In article ,
says...

"Barry Rubin" wrote in message
My old wired keyboard would work OK with the power off and the sleep
buttons and wake again, but my new wireless has problems on this
motherboard,

1. The 'sleep' button puts pc into hibernate. Which key should wake
it up? No, the 'sleep' key does not work.g

2. The 'log off' key gets me to log off, but does not shut down the
pc. Can it be made to shut it down?

This is on WinXP Pro with all updates installed, all power options
(sleep and shut down) worked on old wired keyboard, now using usb
port for connection to pc, legacy usb support enabled in BIOS, and (I
think) all power settings are correct in XP. The CD included with the
hardware shows driver 5.0.174.0

Is there a newer driver version available? MS web site only shows
version 5.0.

Any help on these 3 questions appreciated.

Barry

Barry,
Check the M/B manual, under Jumpers,
I had to change the "KBPWR1" to get mine to work.
The Default is "disabled "

Tom,

Since my old wired keyboard functioned OK to power off/on the pc, this
jumper was already set correctly. But, I did reset jumpers USBPWR_12,
USBPWR_34, and USBPWR_56. According to the manual (section 1.9) this
should enable the USB wake up feature. But, nothing changed and the MS
Elite only would 'log off', not shut down; and 'sleep', but not wake up.
This was with the USB connection from the wireless receiver.

In desparation I switched the keyboard/mouse wireless receiver to work
with its ps/2 adapter. As a ps/2 keyboard and mouse the BIOS allows a
wake up feature and this works fine now. To stop the annoying 'log off'
key to NOT shut down, I installed the tiny program 'Wizmo' from
www.grc.com and changed the key to recognize this program and its shut
down feature.

To sum up, the Wireless Elite only seems to function correctly for wake
up on this motherboard when connected to the pc using the ps/2 adapter.
To wake up, my BIOS is set to wake up with any key. To shut down I
installed an outside program. To sleep, it works correctly.

BTW, I did update the BIOS to version C18X1009.BIN.

If anyone has the MS keyboard working correctly on this motherboard as a
USB device, I would still like to know.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Barry
--