Old April 30th 04, 10:23 AM
Tim

Barry,

I have the MS Natural wireless keyboard with the *horribly dumb* F keys on
it.
It amazed me that the keyboard was - as designed - able to shutdown the
system, but not wake it up - even if the keyboard is in the PS/2 port. I am
not using an Asus mobo with the keyboard, but with an Asus mobo I would have
set in the bios the ability to wake the computer using the keyboard. There
you can specify your preference for the key combination for the wakeup - my
Asus systems have that & I am peeved that this inferior mobo's bios does not
(you have 2 options Windows 9x Power Key or a 4 character password).

So, look in the bios - on Asus you should have the choice of space bar, Ctrl
Escape and some other options.

Also if you don't like the behaviour of the F keys, take a look in the MS
Hardware news groups for details on how you can remap keys.

- Tim

"Barry Rubin" wrote in message
Bob,

I will try the ps2 option instead of USB and post back here. What you
say makes sense about USB not waking up. Also, if keyboard wont shut
down my pc, it's going back anyway. That would be dumb if it didnt work,
so it is possible that is what MS intended.g

I'll see first if anyone can use the kb with this mobo.

Thanks,

Barry

In article ,
says...

try using the USB/ps2 adapter that came with the optical desktop. I

have the
same keyboard mouse setup on my A7N8X E deluxe and use the USB also,

but do
not use sleep mode. The power to the USB ports go off in sleep mode,

no? if
so, the keyboard and mouse would be useless to wake the system. The PS2
ports seem to still function in sleep mode. The wireless receiver with

no
power, is powerless (pun intended)

The Log off key does just that, Log off. I like the keyboard, but do

not use
all of its functions. I did look in the keyboard setup program for the
reassignment possibilities for the log off button, and shut down is not
among them, although some ridiculous choices are, strange!

Bob

"Barry Rubin" wrote in message
My old wired keyboard would work OK with the power off and the sleep
buttons and wake again, but my new wireless has problems on this
motherboard,

1. The 'sleep' button puts pc into hibernate. Which key should wake

it
up? No, the 'sleep' key does not work.g

2. The 'log off' key gets me to log off, but does not shut down the

pc.
Can it be made to shut it down?

This is on WinXP Pro with all updates installed, all power options
(sleep and shut down) worked on old wired keyboard, now using usb

port
for connection to pc, legacy usb support enabled in BIOS, and (I

think)
all power settings are correct in XP. The CD included with the

hardware
shows driver 5.0.174.0

Is there a newer driver version available? MS web site only shows
version 5.0.

Any help on these 3 questions appreciated.

Barry

--
To reply via e-mail, remove the nets.
http://www.rubincpa.com