Old October 31st 06, 12:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SteveH

Default Vista, or XP?

"Evert" wrote in message
SteveH wrote:
"Evert" wrote in message
Hi all!

I am about to install a new system. I have Win XP Pro laying around
here, but also RC2 of Windows Vista. Which should I install?

The end-user of the system prefers Windows Vista, but also the least
amount of possible hassle...

Since he'll be wanting Windows Vista Home Premium when it becomes
available, I am wondering what path to follow:

I XP now, upgrade to Vista Home Premium later
II RC2 now, side-grade to Vista Home Premium (is this possible?)
III XP or RC2 now. Fresh install of Vista Home Premium later

The 3rd option is obviously the one with the most hassle, but also the
one that will give the cleanest system...

Is option II possible anyway? Or can the RC2 (which is Vista Ultimate),
only be turned into Vista Ultimate?

Regards,
Evert

Is the user likely to want to upgrade the hardware anytime soon? Don't
forget, the Vista licence looks to be VERY restrictive in this respect.
Personally, I'm not coming off of XP until all the fuss about Vista
licencing and activation dies down and we know whats really going to
happen.

Since this system will be quite high-end, I do not think there will be
any hardware upgrades needed in the coming 2-3 years, so the answer to
your question is: no 8-)

Regards,
Evert

Fair enough. Personally, as I said, I'm gonna wait until all the fuss dies
down and Vista has had it's first (inevitable) service pack before I take it
seriously.
I've got RC2 dual booting with XP here and I honestly don't see what all the
fuss is about. It's just XP with shiny bits on, higher hardware requirements
and lots of interfering and hand-holding rubbish included. It's like their
new flight sim, a triumph of form over functionality.

SteveH