Old June 16th 08, 08:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
DerekBaker

Default AMD to take back graphics crown from Nvidia ?

* Mr.E Solved!:
DerekBaker wrote:
* Blig Merk:
DerekBaker wrote:
Given that I've got an X800 from 2004 I certainly am.

With something that old, you are looking at a whole new system, not
just a new graphics card.

That's okay, because I am.

So, in fact, you aren't looking forward to a new card, but a whole new
system. Which reinforces the idea that there isn't much to get excited
about in these new offerings. Other than the potential of what comes
after them.

A new system with a new video card, yes.

Lastly, to make a point: Perhaps some of you are aware of nvidia's new
"UMAP" policy.

This is where you can't find out the price of an item that a vendor is
selling it for until to place it in your cart. Thusly breaking
price-checking engines and adding millions of unnecessary cart checks a
day.

Beyond the legal issues, beyond the inconvenience, beyond the utter
stupidity of the idea.. is that nvidia is in no position to **** away
whatever remaining goodwill they have. Which this idea is doing.
Shopping nvidia on Newegg is a chore now and can only hurt sales.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aHVzaWFzdA==

I'm seeing (preorder) prices here, so I guess this policy won't float in the UK.

--
Derek