Old July 27th 07, 06:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh

Default Replacing eIDE Boot drive with SATA - OS setup says "NTLDR is Missing" BIOS issues?

Hi!

Thanks. I had this thought too - though when I checked the Dell
website for SATA drivers there wasn't anything listed. maybe I'll give
it a more thorough look.

I didn't need any SATA drivers for Windows 2000 Professional on my Dimension
8300. All the Intel *ATA controllers were recognized as such. Perhaps it
isn't the most performing setup, but it works to this day.

Most SATA controllers will emulate a conventional IDE controller and work
fine.

You can, at your own risk, download the Intel Chipset INF file update from
Intel (or Dell may offer it for your system). This will let your Intel SATA
controller be properly recognized. As far as I know, no better drivers are
available for Win2000/XP unless you have a RAID capable SATA controller and
are using it as such.

Updating to the latest BIOS would not be a bad idea if you haven't already.
Have the system on backup power and running from a cold start if you do.

William