Old March 18th 04, 07:42 PM
Ben Pope

Larry Gagnon wrote:
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:28:51 GMT
"HPLeft" wrote:

I'm finding that Motherboard Monitor and Fan Speed software give
different CPU temperatures than Asus Probe on an Asus A7V8X-X board.
Basically, the Motherboard Monitor and Fan temps are considerable lower
than Asus Probe - about 5 degrees F. The motherboard temperatures are
identical in all three pieces of software.

5°F is not "considerable" really... ensure you are reading the same
sensors... e.g., on the A7N8X probe cannot read diode temp, it reports the
cpu socket temp.

I've used the config wizard for Motherboard Monitor, and the preset
config for the Asus board. My guess is that Asus Probe is using a
different setting of some sort.

Any opinions on whether the Motherboard Monitor and Fan Speed CPU
temperature readings are more commonly used than those from Asus Probe?

Matt: you're not the only one. I have noted differences also between my
NF7-S BIOS reports, my WinXP Hardware Doctor and my Linux Sensors

And how can you be sure that all these three completely different
environments require the same power consumption from the processor? 5°C
change in diode temp can happen inside of 3 seconds in Windows.

temperature reports. Your're right - 5 degrees C difference is not

He said 5°F, which is about 3°C - hardly a great deal.

Ben