Old October 27th 04, 08:40 PM
Information Scavenger

I also noticed (after reading some other posts here) that I should set
the CPU speed to 200 and leave the memory speed for SPD instead of
AUTO. When I do this, the machine will post as an AMD Athlon XP 3200+
CPU...but the system only gets as far as to the bar across the bottom
for Windows XP initial startup...then it seems to hang, my HD light
comes on for about 20 seconds, and my machine power off. If I turn it
back on once, it powers off again, but a 3rd time and it comes up and
tells me that system is not set correctly and loads bios fail safe
settings. If I leave it underclocked to a 1.1 (11 x 100) it
works...but only enough for me to get here and post

Should I also consider replacing my RAM too? The RAM I have now
(unknown brand) but is 2 sticks of 512mb (identical to each other)
which report the SPD speed at 166. Anything else I should look for or
consider running or upgrading would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:07:37 -0400, Information Scavenger
wrote:

I have had this Asus A7n8x-x MB for several months now running an AMD
Athlon XP 2200+ (1.8 ghz CPU) not overclocked in any way. I just
received an AMD XP 3200+ CPU and I was trying to find some resource on
the web to tell me the exact MB settings I should change for this CPU.
If I just put it in the machine, it detects as an AMD Athlon XP 1100+
with the multiplier set in BIOS to 100. If I change it to 133, it
displays 1900+ and 166 displays it as a 2500+ cpu...if I set it to 200
the system will not boot (until I power it completely off, then the
ASUS safe mode tells me that the CPU is set incorrectly and to go in
and change it.

I had hoped for some paper to come with my xp 3200+ to allow me to set
this BIOS correctly. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Oh and I am running the latest version of the BIOS available from the
ASUS UPDATE utility.