Old November 29th 03, 02:12 PM
Ben Pope

Rob Jones wrote:
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 13:22:07 -0000, Ben Pope wrote:

I think thats on a per-partition basis, so you could create a partition
thats 128GiB, and then another for the rest of the drive (or whatever)

Hi Ben, thanks for the input, I use partition Magic 8, so I can install XP
on say a 128 Gig Partition, then create more partitions using PM8 after I
have installed XP?

I don;t see why not, but I think Win2K likes to format every partition, so
don;t make the other partitions until you;ve installed XP, or it might want
to format them.

Thats a pretty old BIOS, I would recommend updating, but it should be new
enough according to your info.

I would love to update but I have read so many horror stories of failed
Bios updates I'm unsure about chancing it. I did read of a device call
Bios savoir a while back that claimed it could back up your bios in case
of it going wrong. Any thoughts? Is updating bios these days any safer?

It's not too bad, usully there is a bootloader section that is not usually
flashed, allows you to flash a new BIOS even if part of it is corrupted.

It's still easy to FUBAR the motherboard - pulling power mid flash is the
most likely route to failure, or flashing in Windows, we all know it's prone
to crashing at the least opportune moment.

I've flashed the BIOS on my A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 several times and not had a
problem, I usually either use the built in awdflash or awdflash on a floppy.

http://www.ben.pope.name/a7n8x_faq.html#BIOS_Flash

I think for many of those that have had problems when flashing, they found
that clearing cmos worked. If you happily change settings in the BIOS and
the machine restarts/powers on properly every time you should be ok.

BIOS saviour is basically two flash chips that you can swap between, it's
quite a good idea.

Ben