Old January 24th 04, 11:00 PM
Sally

Al Dykes wrote:
In article ,
GlueGum wrote:

If I ask this question at a Linux ng, they'll say XP sucks. If I ask at an
XP ng, they'll say Linux sucks.

From what I've read Mandrake is the best for desktop apps and for newbies

(like me). I've been using windows since 3.11(currently XP home) and was
wondering if anybody here uses Linux, and how does it compare to XP?

Suse is real slick IMHO.

Knoppix is nice to have in the toolkit, and to see how things work in
Linux without screwing you your system (it runs of the CD and a RAM.
It can read NTFS and read/write FAT32. It needs at least MB ram)

I'll echo Knoppix for a 'look-see' at linux, but I've just got MEPIS
Linux (www.mepis.org) and IMO is superior to Knoppix. Really nice,
java, realplayer, flash - all working straight away, openoffice, lots of
stuff :-)

XP isn't bad I'll admit but it's Micro$oft shudder