Old July 10th 07, 12:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Rick F

Default Slightly OT question about network setup..

On Jul 9, 4:01 pm, VinceV wrote:
Rick,

Check out M0n0wall. (www.m0n0.ch) Its a freeBSD Based firewall/
router that meets all of the criteria that you listed.

Its designed to run on PC based hardware and there are supported
vendors (WRAP and Soekeris) that provide small footprint and low power
platforms that this firewall runs on. It supports a number of add-in
wireless cards too.

If you want all of the features of an enterprise firewall (Intrusion
detection, failover, etc.) check out PFSense (www.pfsense.org).

I use a M0n0 at home running on an Intrusion.com PDS 2100 (Picked up
on ebay for $20 US) which has a 600mhz Celeron and 128 megs of ram
and is smaller than the average computer How To book. My first Mono
was on an old Compaq DeskPro.

Note: FreeBSD and Linux have memory detection issues on all older
COMPAQ servers, you have to change the kernel image if you plan to use
either M0n0 or PFSense on one of them.

Thanks Vince.. Sounds like something to check out.. I've got an older
Epia
M-series board at home that I could use for this if I can find a power
supply
for it..