Old May 31st 04, 10:28 AM
kony

On Mon, 31 May 2004 00:29:45 -0700, "ynotssor"
wrote:

Thanks, the pinout diagram matches the connector I have. Just shorting pin
14 to the adjacent COM doesn't cause the power supply fan to start, so in
the current absence of a VOM I'll just consider it dead. I didn't have a
spare drive to attach at this time, but it doesn't seem absolutely necessary
at this point. (?)

Some power supplies will not turn on long enough to be noticable without a
load, such as a hard drive. Without the load you can not be sure of
anything. "Usually" an optical drive would work instead, would typically
be a less valuable drive and not the risk to the data.

http://auctions.searchmarketing.com/...42004-1-s.html here I come. If
I then discover larger or more prevasive problems then I'll just replace the
whole box with some $350 2.8GHz Celeron w/ 40GB drive, and salvage the
drives and miscellaneous components for other boxes. I'm sure the owner
would be pleased, as this was just a 333MHz and 2.1GB drive containing a
clean OS install.

I'll follow your helpful advice for the remaining diagnostics, and thank
you.

From above link it seems to be an eMachines' power supply?
If so, I'd replace with 180W Fortron/Sparkle though the mATX sized units
are all pretty similar, the worst choice being a generic.