Old May 31st 04, 08:29 AM
ynotssor

"kony" quoted and wrote in message

[...]
ILSSAN ISP 120S Rev. C-2

[...]

Take out the power supply, disconnected entirely from system
then attach to it a load (old hard drive) on 5V rail (just plug in
the hard drive if that's what is used) then attempt to power-on
power supply by shorting the PS-On (usually green wire, pin 14)
to any ground (black) wire.
http://69.36.189.159/usr_1034/atx_on.gif

If it's an AT, no shorting of the PS-On wire is needed, instead just
flip main front switch.

With either type, after shorting PS-On or flipping swithch the power
supply should turn on, it's fan spinning, and hard drive spinning.
If you have a multimeter then take measurements of voltage at
connector.

If power supply won't turn on, consider it dead and try another one.

Thanks, the pinout diagram matches the connector I have. Just shorting pin
14 to the adjacent COM doesn't cause the power supply fan to start, so in
the current absence of a VOM I'll just consider it dead. I didn't have a
spare drive to attach at this time, but it doesn't seem absolutely necessary
at this point. (?)

http://auctions.searchmarketing.com/...42004-1-s.html here I come. If
I then discover larger or more prevasive problems then I'll just replace the
whole box with some $350 2.8GHz Celeron w/ 40GB drive, and salvage the
drives and miscellaneous components for other boxes. I'm sure the owner
would be pleased, as this was just a 333MHz and 2.1GB drive containing a
clean OS install.

I'll follow your helpful advice for the remaining diagnostics, and thank
you.

tony

--
use hotmail for email replies