Old November 17th 05, 05:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

Default Dell's Sorry History of Microphone/Soundcard Issue (Update)

kony wrote:

Dell's Sorry History of Microphone/Soundcard Issue

Here are the selected compilations of Dell microphone/soundcard issue
posted in the Dell Dimension audio forum. Note that the problem was
reported from the very beginning of the forum establishment in late
1999 and continuing to this day. It makes you wonder if Dell ever
made functioning mic/soundcard.

You have no idea what in the world you're talking about.

Dell has used MANY different platforms in that period of
time.

So? Is that the cause of low mic volume problem?

Most of them were industry standard, there was no
difference in the Dell implementation than you'd fine
assembling it yourself or getting it done at a shop, except
in some special cases where the user was particularly
specifying for an unusually well-tuned-towards-audio,
system, in which shielded cabling was used. This is not
normal for any system and thus, it cannot be considered a
defect for Dell to do what everyone else did.

FWIW, Dell does not "Make" mics or soundcards, they use
standardized solutions.

Haven't heard of "Proprietary"? Isn't it well known that Dell power
supplies, for example, are compatible only with Dell system?

Despite all the numerous problem reports spanning many years, Dell is
unconscionably not only not acknowledging the problem, but
reprehensively engages in jerking around the customers with the same
runaround tactic over these years. [See the post on (1/29/2002)]

What did you expect?

Whiney users need to be jerked around sometimes.

Even when 'whine' about problems even Dell acknowledged?

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...ht=3-16#M48561

DELL-Cody, Forum Moderator:

UPDATE [3-16-04]: Information posted prior to 3/16/04 has been
saved and forwarded to Dell Engineering. Thank you very much for
your assistance in this matter.

Thank you all for your assistance and patience in this matter. I
have requested closure of this case from Dell Engineering,
preferably with some additional data that will explain the problem
and/or any further troubleshooting information.

It does not appear at this time that a hardware fix is available.
For this reason, I am requesting the additional clarification.

Fact is, anyone who's done a bit of work in analog audio
knows you can't just go stringing cables all over the place
around high speed digital equipment. Not that it's
impossible, or hard, to do, but more expensive.

For low mic volume problem?

If you want a more expensive audiophile grade system, you
have to buy that SPECIFIC THING, not a generic Dell, or HP,
or Gateway, etc, system. You can't just go to a shop and
expect anything different either, you will have to clearly
specific your needs and determine whether anyone there is a
competent builder towards the end of analog audio quality.

For low mic volume problem?

Poor mic pick-up (12/6/1999)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...message.id=422

if this mic is more than 6 or 8 inches from my mouth
at normal speaking levels, it barely picks up my voice.

GOOD GRIEF!

Did you ever consider that you can't blame an OEM for your
lack of ability to use windows? MIc boost and recording
levels have to be set.

I have my mic volume all the way up, the booster on, and its still
way too quiet. I had to practically put the mic in my mouth.

I have been through every switch, slider and control with
XPS Advanced support at least twice. This isn't a user error.

I think I have seen every single volume control slider that exists
in the system, XP, Creative, etc.

MICROPHONE=POOP (12/10/1999)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...message.id=495

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WILL SOMEONE PLEASSSSEEEE TELL ME
HOW TO GET MY MIC TO RECORD?!?!

I am experiencing the same problem and so are many others
if you look around in the DellTalk area. It drives me nuts!

There is nothing special about Dell Mic recording. Open the
mixer, select it as the recording source, and get on with
life.

I've snipped the rest, becaue it only serves to show one
central thing- computers are user-configurable and in their
default configuration, they have the "potential" to do many
things, but are not optimized for ALL these things- the user
must configure it. Same thing goes with a home stereo, if
you had it set to record to tape from the radio, then you
plug in a mic, you can't just whine that the mic doesn't
work, you have to reach out a finger and adjust the amp (or
whichever applicable device).

I have been through every switch, slider and control with
XPS Advanced support at least twice. This isn't a user error.

I think I have seen every single volume control slider that exists
in the system, XP, Creative, etc.

The funny thing is, I wonder how many people ever bothered
to read the manuals or seek basic audio advice on Google.

Maybe Dell Techs don't either?

so i contacted Dell tech support they advised me to uninstall the
soundcard and reinstall it. I did that and it made no difference.

They told me to uninstall the windows sound recorder and reinstall
it, that made no difference either,

they told me to uninstall the whole of windows multimedia
I did that and it made no difference

Dell tech support insisted I reformat my hard disk and reinstall
everything.