Old October 6th 05, 07:44 AM
Marko

"Quartz" wrote in message

SE cards generally have lower clocked memory normally around 333MHz vs
400MHz for regular 440's & the clock rate may be slightly lower but I'm
not
100% on that one.

so I'm right in saying that they're a lower-end version of the line?

Yeah a slightly cut down version using cheaper ram an maybe a 4 layer pcb
instead of a 6 layer one, much like nVidia's LE range of cards today.

you game
has to support multiple screen gaming for it to use multiple displays and
if
this game is ancient it wont,

I'm 99.9% sure it doesn't, as it's a 2d fighter. (think guilty gear or
KoF).

Yeah it almost certainly wont then.

oh, for reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melty_Blood

thus when it is run it will run on your
primary dispaly and the card will automatically allocate all memory to it
for the duration of the game and switch back t odual screen mode once
you
finish.

I'm assuming this relies on the game passing the proper "full screen"
variables to the system... I'm not sure how it handles that.

The dual screen results will probably be the same mostly although the 440
will support mutli screen gaming for some newer games but to be honest
it's
not really got the horsepower for it,

hmm... ok. I take it I can't run a multi-screen game across two cards?

but it is significantly more powerful
than a GF2MX for gaming due to double the memory bandwidth at least and
also
around a 40% faster core.

well, if I'm running a single-screen game anyway, it doesn't really
matter what card is powering the other screen.

No nVidia dont generally make any cards for public use at all they simply
provide reference design for oem's to copy/modify/ignore

so when I buy an nvidia card, it's really made by someone else? is this
different from how ATI does things?

you can use the FCC number on the card to search the fcc website for
manufacturers name.

the card doesn't have an fcc ID though... oh well.

how much should I care about this anyway? are there some manufacturers
known to be crappy?

____
- Quartz -
there are 10 types of people in the world: those who get this joke, and
those who don't.