Old October 22nd 04, 07:15 PM
Ben Myers

Yes. Too true. Similar to the foolishness of replacing a failed fan inside a
power supply. First, it involves soldering, which I avoid. Second, one never
knows what else is burned out and failed.

How expensive are power supplies? Well, I had a dead IBM P4 system here, so I
called IBM's tech support, who said that their first step with warranty parts
was to overnight a power supply. They sent the power supply, but the
motherboard was the real problem. Next day, they overnighted a replacement mobo
with Fedex labels to return the bad board. The system worked just fine, so I
called IBM tech support to ask them about the extra power supply. I was told to
keep the power supply. Why? Because it would cost more than the power supply
was worth to IBM to ship it back... Ben Myers

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:55:52 GMT, "Tweek"
wrote:

Considering parts are such a commodity now, it would be a terrible waste of
money to do to computer parts what the automotive parts industry does. I
actually had a customer ask about a 'core charge' on his power supply as if
we would give him a discount for trading in his dead unit.

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
Understood. Many people think that remanufacturing involves taking apart,
replacing worn parts, cleaning, etc etc etc, which is the way it is with
many
non-computer industries involving mechanical or electrical equipment.
Maybe I
split a few hairs here? ... Ben