Old September 8th 04, 11:09 PM
mike

TommyDale wrote:
You are asking a lot, to be able to do run applications (burn a CD)
without using any application software.

Not so. I'm willing to COPY any (and as much) application software
required to do the job. What I don't want to do is INSTALL application
software that
spreads itself all over the filesystem, overwrites windows system files,
changes the registry and integrates itself permanently into the OS.

Good luck! Also, by limiting
yourself to only Windows 98...Good luck on that one too! If you were
living in the 21st century, you would find that any computer with USB
2.0 and Windows XP could run that external USB external CD Burner with
no effort. It is almost idiot proof.

The target machines for this application were indeed made in the 20th
century. They don't have USB2, won't run XP and work just fine for
their intended applications. The CDROM ain't USB2 either.

I can't comprehend why people just roll over and buy hardware they don't
need so they can run an OS they don't need just because M$ needs more
revenue and better pirate protection. Don't get me started on ET-phone
home... Then they have to buy all new applications. In my case, most
of my applications just won't run on XP.

Go ahead and keep buying them multi-thousand dollar laptops. That makes
the $10 used ones available for me.

By the way, there is no need for installing InCD if you don't want to.

That's not been my experience. The application suite installer has one
button..."install". You get all or none.
The point is not, "Can you diddle with it to make it uninstall the part
you don't want."

The point is, "Can you make the temporary software as easy to
add/remove the temporary USB hardware."

For a permanent CDROM installation, USB would be my last choice.

mike

--
Return address is VALID.
Compaq Aero floppy,ram,battery.