Old September 8th 04, 09:00 PM
Mike Richter

mike wrote:

OK, I'm not communicating. I'll try again without so many nits to pick.

Agreed.

I want to walk up to the machine, plug in my USB drive, copy as many
files as necessary to one new directory on the hard drive in the
computer, Burn A CD, Delete all the files I copied and leave the
computer in the state it was before I started this process.

The files I copy can interface any part of the system they want with
whatever additional capability they want as long as
they don't change any files outside their resident directory tree,
including
the registry. Yes, they'll have to duplicate/implement at least some
windows functionality.

Nope. The closest you can come is to install UDF on your computer, write
either fixed- or variable-length packets and then have appropriate
capability on the receiving machine. The subject is complicated, there
are problems, and it won't do all that you want - but it's as close as
the technology will get you today.

Fortunately, there's plenty of documentation about packet writing and
UDF in the usual references: the CD-R FAQ and the primer at my WWW site.
But that's the only way to come close to what you want in a 9x OS. In
XP, you can use the applet with advantages - but also with drawbacks.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/