Old September 8th 04, 06:46 AM
Mike Richter

mike wrote:

The problem is that I can't just burn a CD.
I have to INSTALL a bunch of software that may or may not overwrite
existing windows files/drivers.

So, what I want is a way to burn a CD without INSTALLING ANY software.

Re the Subject: No, you need an OS; you then need an application which
manages the operations required to write.

Re the Body: You can use XP with its built-in applet.

Depending on what you want to do with the program, you may find mkisofs
sufficient. Otherwise, to use the Windows interface some installation is
necessary for general-purpose writing. One exception is DAO from
Goldenhawk - but I suspect that it will be too limited for you and may
not support your drive.

There's a lot of work behind writing a CD beyond simply copying the
data. The ATIP must be read, the leadin and TOC must be written, the
leadout is also required. That's apart from the higher-order activity
such as CDTExt. Those operations require interfacing with the hardware,
which is supported by Windows through either its own interface or ASPI.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/