Old August 3rd 03, 11:43 PM
Ancra

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 23:00:39 GMT, "Mitchua" wrote:

From what I've read, the generic makers do need to use certain standards of
components. They can't just put on DDR with half the Mhz. Asus has
improved on the design but the basic 4200ti is still better than a fx5200,
right? I don't buy into that DX9.0 hype...yet :-)

I say buy the cheap Ti4200. 1 year warranty, right?
The FX5200 does handle heavy anisotropic filtering better than the
Ti4200. But with much faster pixelwrites, you have better framerate
reserves in the Ti4200. You might not get all the eyecandy of the
FX5200, but you'll always be able to have a smooth framerate. Even at
high resolutions.
And the Ti4200 carries a ton of eyecandy compared to 7000. You'll get
onboard transformation engines and pixelshaders. The Ti4200 does all
those things like realtime shadows, fire, smoke, fog, local/directed
lighting, half reflections in wavy water, on the fly.

I'm not so convinced the FX5200 is such a bad choice, but the general
suspicion is that it doesn't have the muscle to make its DX9 support
relevant. Me, I think it's basicly a question of going down in
resolution. Down to 800x600 or even 648x480. That would make eyecandy
less relevant, I suppose. But you know it's cheap. That's the bottom
line of it.

ancra